The knights stone appears in the book Les pierres gravées du Languedoc (The engraved stones in Languedoc) which was published in1884 under the name of Eugène Stublein who was born in Alet in 1832 and died in 1899 in Les Sauzils.
The author informs the reader, the knights stone was the princes Sigebert IV, Sigebert V and Bera III ‘s tombstone and it was carved in 771. The carvins depict Sigebert IV’s arrival when he was saved by his uncle Levis Bellisen on January 17th 681. A drawing of the alleged inscription engraved on Marchionness Hautpoul’s alleged tombstone.
However, their is a problem with this book and the information it contains, because according to Stublein’s bibliography, there is no record of him ever publishing Les pierres gravées du Languedoc. This means that the information it contains cannot be trusted.
Photographs of the knights stone were studied jointly by Georges Fouet and Monsieur Mesplé, the honorary curator at the Musée des Augustins in Toulouse, who is one of the leading experts on the mediaeval sculpture of the Midi region of France. In their opinion the knights stone dates from the 12th-13th centuries, thus assigning it to the Southern Romano-Gothic period. (Read Knights Stone article)
Les pierres gravées du Languedoc (The engraved stones in Languedoc) allegedly written by Eugène Stublein
Visit this website link to downlaod a pdf copy of Pierres Gravées Du Languedoc Par Eugène Stüblein